New findings in South America point to severe reductions in the amount of potable water in the near future. An alarming global trend is occurring and is seen everywhere from the Southwest United States to sub-Saharan Africa. As populations continue to expand, the water crisis is projected to become even more severe as demand for this precious resource increases. As a result, construction management teams will be forced to increase their implementation of water conservation strategies to help offset this looming issue.
Do you know how much water you are wasting every day? How about every year? You may not realize that in completing basic tasks, such as washing your hands or brushing your teeth, you could be using more water than you need. You may be surprised to know that although over 70% of the Earth’s surface is water, 97% of that water is salt water, leaving only 3% for fresh water. Of that, only 1% is fit for human consumption. Though water is technically a renewable resource, our supply of water is decreasing faster than it can be replenished.
Being that the word “xeriscape” comes from “Xeros”, the Greek word for “dry”, it’s no wonder people think of unattractive, colorless patches of plants when they hear of xeriscape landscaping. Contrary to popular belief, drought resistant plants can be visually appealing while being water efficient. The Natural Resources Conservation Service water consumption publication states that over half of the water that we use around our home is for landscaping. Utilizing xeriscape plants into beautiful landscape designs not only lowers your water bill while, but also minimizes pests, reduces disease problems, and limits the use of fertilizers all with low maintenance.
According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the residential water use for a family of four is 400 gallons of water per day. That’s nearly 150,000 gallons per family per year. These water saving products and water conservation tips can help you save water and money.
When creating your backyard designs, it’s important to consider not only the beauty of the landscape, but also the practical factors such as sunlight, space, water and soil. Make your plant selections and groupings according to their needs to minimize the cost, time and labor of caring for or replacing plants that are not thriving in accordance with your plans.
Two-thirds of our earth’s surface is covered with water. It plays a vital role in cooling the land and sustaining life. It provides habitat for multiple ecosystems as well as allows people to grow food, carry waste, generate power, as well as many other functions of daily living. Over 250 million people in the US rely on freshwater from our rivers, streams, lakes, and ground water supply. Yet, with the majority being saltwater, less than 0.7% of our planet’s water is fresh water.
Leaky faucets can waste thousands of gallons of water each year. Fixing them will save you money and valuable resources. Some leaks aren't so obvious and may only show up on your water bill. If you're not sure you have a leak, check the water meter before and after a two-hour period when no water is being used. If the meter has changed, you probably have a leak.
Every day people turn on the hot water faucet and let the cold water run until it gets hot. All of that cold water runs down the drain during the wait. An easy way to live “green” is to capture that cold water and use it to water your plants or freshen your pet's water bowl. This is a minor habitual change that will save you money and help to stretch the fresh water supply. However, there is another solution that will help you save all of that water, as well as give you more convenience.
Join Our Newsletter
- Humans cause brown fields. Shirking responsibility allows them. What Is a Brownfield?
- Hello Aubrey, Thank you for your feed back. We have a number of other articles on our site that pertain to water conservation. Please refer… How Much Water Are You Wasting?
- Hello Allen, Laminate flooring is a great choice. It helps to slow deforestation and tends to be an extremely durable solution. That being said, your… VOC Off Gassing - It's as bad as it sounds
- My wife and I just had "DREAM HOME" laminate flooring installed. Is that a safe choice with precautions taken at the factory for off-gassing? Just… VOC Off Gassing - It's as bad as it sounds
- 203k is a very good program however, getting it is not the easiest process. You have to team up with a great lender who is… HUD's 203k explained
- I do consider all the ideas you've presented for your post. They are really convincing and will certainly work. Nonetheless, the post is a bit… How Much Water Are You Wasting?